Sunday 23 September 2012

Learning from kitchen mistakes

I think breakfasts are the biggest issue for me.  I used to have a toasted bagel with a melted slice of cheese on it for breakfast everyday.  It was delicious, but 1) it wasn't very nutritious, and 2) it was kind of boring.  Then I switched to oatmeal, but then I got tired of that too.  I wake up early in the morning though, and I'm ready for work in 15 minutes.  Thus, I don't have much time for anything all that tasty.

Remember the Breakfast Quinoa and the Baked Oatmeal posts?  Well I made both of those on the same day, and I also made a Spinach and Egg White Frittata  (which actually wasn't all egg whites thanks to my inability to read the box right!).  

So now I had ALL of these premade breakfasts!  And it as a pretty good system.  I could just come downstairs, grab a jar, and go get ready.  And if I didn't finish it all before I had to leave for work? No worries, as it was already in a transportable container.


But herein lies the issue.  There are 12 jars there.  That's almost 2 weeks worth of breakfasts.  I don't know about you, but when something's been sitting in my fridge for that long, I start to get worried.  I just don't trust it.  So the point of the post isn't so much about the delicious egg white frittata (which is full of protein and super tasty!) but more in the issue of waste.  I had to throw a couple of these jars out (though all the breakfast quinoa was eaten lickity split ahah!), and that's just wasteful.  It's a waste of both my money and my time.  we all make mistakes, there's no doubt about it.  The key is to learn from them and, in this case, remember in the future to half my recipes!  If you have a family to feed, then 12 breakfasts is nothing, but when it's just one mouth, it's a lot!


No comments:

Post a Comment