Friday 7 September 2012

Have a fruit fly problem? Here's a solution!

I hate fruit flies.  I don't even understand where they come from.  One minute my house is fruit fly free, and the next they're everywhere.  My mother is a neatfreak, so fruit flies are not an issue of a dirty house.  The can come in your house from the produce you buy at the grocery store, and they breed like rabbits.  So if these little buggers find their way into your home, here's what you can do to get rid of them.

First off, you need to clean.  I know I said that fruit flies aren't an issue of dirt, but, any dirt or left over food you have lying around will keep them there.  If you normally leave your dishes until the end of the day, start doing them right away so they don't land on your plates and mate.  Scrub your counter tops and the stove top.  Then take your rag and put it in the wash!  Fruit flies love the dish towel.  Next, if you have any fruit on your counter, like a bowl of bananas or apples, put those in the fridge.  They're called fruit flies for a reason!  And the garbage, take it out, and try to bring your garbage outside right away until the fruit flies go away.  Believe it or not, fruit flies also mate in your drains.  Boil some water and dump it down your drains to help dislodge any.. gunk that might be in your drains.  I also like to spray some raid down the drains.  I really just don't like fruit flies.

Now that everything is clean, we can put out a trap!  There's a couple ways you can do this.  Last time we had a fruit fly problem, we cut a 2l bottle in half, and flipped the top into it to make a funnel.  In the bottom just put some apple cider vinegar and the fruit flies will be attracted to it and drown.  This time, I didn't have any 2l around, so I just used a glass and a plastic bag.  Just put the plastic bag around the cup, secure it with a rubber band or hair elastic, and stab a hole in the top.  Again, I would have put apple cider vinegar in the bottom, but I didn't have any, so I made two and I tried vinegar and honey in one, and just honey in the other.  The one posted was the vinegar and honey mixture, which has worked the best.
Caught a couple little buggers!



No comments:

Post a Comment